Sunday 26 September 2010

Linux Laptops

Hey all, I'm not gonna start getting all technical about the state of linux on laptops. But I'd like to say a couple of words on the matter. Yesterday I visited John Lewis on Oxford Street, In addition to this nergasmic experience, I finally managed to get my hands on an Envy 13. It's been way too long before getting my hands on it. It really is a sexy as I thought it'd be. But that's another issue entirely :-)

This is all very well and good but I remembered that, while the prices for them were falling, they are a) still too expensive for me and b) they aren't compatible with Linux. I just. dont. gettit. Why isn't it compatible? how hard can it be to create something that conforms to a simple set of technological rules. OK, so HP weren't *trying* to make a Linux laptop, but they must know that many of their users will install it. What idiot came up with the "clickpad" some half rate attempt at a mac touchpad. If you're going to do it, do it right. Else, stick with the working strategy. You don't *need* to copy Apple. People won't think any worse of you. They'd rather something that works than something that looks, (marginally) better, but doesn't work.


/rant

Dave.

0 comments:

Post a Comment