Friday 9 July 2010

God Bless H.M.S. Desktop and all those who sailed in her...

The Desktop. The Guv'nor. The Don. Its been fun. Well to be honest it hasn't really has it? It's been one failed component after another. Loud fans, loud Hard Drives, horrid beige cases. OK the last one died out a while ago but still. There's still plenty of room on the desk for a non-portable computing thingy-ma-jig, don't get me wrong, just not that hideous waste of space and noise and ultimately productivity we see each and every day.

Components are pretty cheap these days so there's no need to scrimp on design. 

So...I'm embarking on a quest. Due to financial reasons, it'll probably be a pretty long quest. So drawn out in fact it'll probably be one of those things that I'll wish I never started. But nevertheless I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I'm going to design a decent looking desktop. I'm aiming for the all-in-one look. I'll explain more when I'm not just rambling out of my arse.

Here's a quick summary of what I'm looking for. I want something that is more than just a tool. I want something that I can "experience" I want something that does everything how I want it to. I'm not sure that's too much to ask. It seems that only the capable are able to get this sort of personalisation from a system. I would say its a nice gap in the market but its been saturated by the Cupertino lot and however much I want to say that Ubuntu can compete, with Windows and Mac, it just can't. I'm not about to start a business, that would be silly and a total miscalculation of both my skill and/or my commitment to the cause. I want it to be as affordable as possible. Not cheap as such, but good value.

More people should be able to make the leap to do this. Too many people are scared of what might happen. There's plenty of places to get good advice from.

Anyway, this is about as far as I've got in my plans. Well I have a couple of drawings but I have no way of getting them on here as yet. I might wacom them up a bit later. In fact I might try and blender those bad boys. That'd be cool. This all depends on whether I can be bothered. My motivation for my mad schemes is very much in question once I get home from work. Especially on a Friday.

Dave

0 comments:

Post a Comment