Monday 12 July 2010

Steve Jobs: True or False?


Yeah OK that didn't make a huge amount of sense. I have mentioned Apple a few times in my postings. But I don't think I've ever really hit it head on. There are a lot of issues to talk about in technology, some very important, but none so important, game changing, or even compelling, as that of Steve Jobs' philosophy. I'm a firm believer in questioning everything, it is a sure fire way of making a situation better. Discussion, not argument, brings progression in every walk of life. Technology is no different.

We are in the midst of a paradigm shift. A new way of interacting with media and even each other. As a geek it's quite exciting. I do, however, feel like I'm being told how excited I should be and at what. In a recent D8 interview, Steve Jobs, heralded a "Post-PC era". I'd like question exactly what he means by this.

Jobs claims that he only wants to build the very best devices, with the very best user experience. This is good. But when that experience and device is then dictated to the general public. This is bad. So are Steve Jobs' intentions True? or False? Competition is good for the industry; claiming you are being competitive but not allowing anyone to compete with you is double standards. It really shows how we should be viewing Apple products. Companies go out of their way to say that their bananas or coffee are fair trade. Or that their packaging is compostable. So why do why ignore the bad ethics of a global and ever apparent company such as Apple. Having great products is not enough for me. In my opinion it is as bad as smoking. Someone smokes knowing they are doing something bad and wrong and yet claiming they are somehow enjoying it more than the alternative.

Which part of PC is ending? The Personal? or The Computer? I'm willing to bet its not the computer. So if I'm not mistaken, my computer is not mine anymore? or have I missed the point?

This is one of those issues that people will only want to do anything about once its too late. It'll be in the news and the scare mongering will have started . An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Lets make sure we don't need to use a cure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment